Who Feeds You?
The question during class today was "Who feeds you" in your work in the ministry and church. This is a good question for me right now. Lately I've been feeling very frustrated with the catty-ness and controlling nature of some church people, and wondering about my place in the
system. I love my church, but boy do I have days where I'd
like to escape! So, it is good to focus on some of the folks who inspire me, make me want to be a good minister and future pastor, and give me nourishment
Elda Gardiner and Pam Gardiner Enger--They're the two women pictured above. Elda is 96 and has been a church member since 1939 when she moved to Washington. She came as a young woman, having grown up in Missouri, and spoke Low German at home. At church she was active in the Young People's League, and later chaired United Church Women for many years. Pam, Elda's daughter, was raised in the church, confirmed, and married there. She served as church president during the 80's. When Pam married in the 90's, she and her husband moved to Wisconsin where she became active in a UCC there. But she loyally comes back to visit every year. Last year, Elda moved to Wisconsin with Pam to be cared for there. But they are 'home' for several weeks this fall, and the photo above is of them serving at our Fall Sale a few weeks ago. The
y inspire me because they are so faithful and loyal to their faith community. They have seen it through good times and bad, through several pastors, a church merger, and a changing neighborhood.
George Madill (on the right)--George is the son of a United Methodist Elder and a long-time member of the church. I sit on church council with him, as he's the chair of the Outreach Committee. For over 25 years George has selflessly given of himself to the Foggy Bottom Food Pantry. The Food Pantry is run out of our church on a shoestring budget, with George leading and guiding it along. He is a faithful, caring, compassionate soul, and has made the Foo
d Pantry the very heart of the congregation.
John Seitz (on the left)--John is a character. I like to call him our resident theologian and wit. He is probably the most well-read person in the congregation, especially theologically. He thinks very deeply about theology and the church, and will often ask the most insightful questions about sermons. He is also a fabulous pun-maker. I adore his title for my sermon on the loaves & fishes and Peter walking on water: "Fed Up and All Wet, or When Loaves and Waves Collide." He is the type of person who makes ministry fun and worth it.
The Council for Youth and Young Adult Ministries--I sat on this UCC committee for two years. The people I served with, and those who have followed are dedicated groups of young people, committed to calling the church accountability to its responsibility for youth and young adult ministry. A diverse group geographically, theologically, racially, sexually--they inspire me because this is the kind of leadership that will carry the United Church of Christ forward into the next generation with, as the former UCC president put it, evangelical courage and extravagant welcome.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home